Burgers Park (1892) is the oldest park in Pretoria (covers four (4) acres) and now a national monument. It lies adjacent to Melrose House. George Heys, the first owner of Melrose House, worked with botanist James Hunter. They designed the park, which was completed in 1892.
It was named after Thomas Francois Burgers, fourth president of the South-African Republic.
The focal point of the park is a fish pond with fountains. Dating back to the 1890’s, symbolising life in the city centre.
The typical Victorian cast-iron “Band Stand”, made by MacFarlane & Co in Scotland, was erected in 1895. It was used for musical performances.
A KIOSK for serving food and drinks was built between 1911 and 1913. It was designed by Vivian Rees-Poole (who also redisgned Church Square in 1912) in Neo-Classical Style,